Thursday, December 8, 2016

FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY FOR A COUNTRY CLUB

With the advent of cell phone camera's just about every person with a camera on their cell phone takes a picture of just about anything. One of the most posted picture online is food that we eat at a Chinese restaurant, a Vietnamese Pho, Filipino cuisine, at the Japanese Sushi place and even gourmet food from high end restaurants. One encounter of a client who was the owner, cook and marketing man for his restaurant, called for me to quote him for pictures of his food product for a brochure. I checked on the type of food that was to be photograph and then made my quote which did not agree with the owner. Then to add insult to injury he said he will just take the pictures himself since he has a Canon camera. What I am trying to say here is that this is not an isolated incident since every Tom, Dick and Stanley who has a camera thinks that they are photographers already. I have always said that let the Doctor do the doctoring and the photographer do the photographing.

Anyway, I have images below that I photograph for a Country Club that ended up on their menu. The location was a room in the club that I have set up as my studio and the chef prepared the product right before they were ready to be photograph. I had to visually prepare my presentation for each of the plate that was brought up to me. I used a set of strobe lights present using a mock up model to accomplish the best presentation.  When I do shoots like this the goal is to see to it that the client is always satisfied with the finished product, after all they pay the bill. In the coming food articles I will feature inside restaurant shoot, an italian restaurant and a Filipino cookery sales company.


This is a Crab Ball on a white plate and due to the way it was presented I had my main light at angle off
centered so the light shadow on the foreground gave detail to the depth of the plate that directed the eye
to the food itself.  


The sauce on this presentation was allowed to flow towards the front of the plate to grab the attention of
the onlooker to the fish which is the main dish plated on top of shortened crab legs and away from the decorative rim of the plate.

 The berry's where place of centered to the front of the camera and by doing so it balance out the dominant figure on the round dish and the peppermint leaves separated it from the white plate.




2 comments: